Tuesday 5 March 2013

Just another day in the office


A representative from our external IT support company was coming in for a meeting first thing this morning. I had to run to work because the bus never showed up so I took a different one to the closest point possible and walked/ran from there. I arrived just as the IT guy did but unfortunately neither the Director nor the other intern who had arranged the meeting were there yet! The Editorial Director led the meeting until the others turned up and I dutifully took notes to type up later. We discussed the office move and the configuration of the new premises, whether to go wireless or get a cabled network, whether to choose VOIP etc.

I'd been asked to print off some more presentation material for a potential customer which of course took up most of the morning as my computer is pretty slow!

Then I worked on some more appointments for the London Book Fair - the calendar is pretty full now with around 18 appointments per person on each day (it lasts for 3 days).

I finished off the post redirection request and looked for originals of certain documents we need to provide. I could only find copies so hopefully tomorrow I'll manage to finish that off and send it to Royal Mail.

I worked through my inbox answering a few e-mails then received a phone call from Italy - it was from a publisher who was hoping to publish 2 of our books and they wanted a quote on a certain amount of copies. Good news!

Around mid-afternoon I continued on the proofreading. I think that this is the longest book I've proofread so far and I can tell it's going to take a long time to finish! Fortunately it's not urgent (yet) so I'll just do what I can during the week then bring it home every weekend to spend some more hours on. I'm still enjoying this side of the job though.


No comments:

Post a Comment