Saturday 9 March 2013

Last day of the internship


Pic by Vladimir Konovalov


Friday was my last day as an intern. It was one of the most hectic days as I had to organise an impromptu business trip to New York for the Director. I was also asked to transfer quite a few files from some CDs onto the server which the Art Designer had dropped off. I then printed off the new layouts for the Director and Editorial Director to look through.

I sent off another 20 invites for the London Book Fair - the 2 tables are almost full now, with back-to-back 30-minute appointments over 3 days - that's a lot of meetings!

The intern who left on my first day (I took over from her although she was primarily Sales) had been asked if she could return for a few weeks as a temp, like me. Friday was her first day back so I passed on a few tasks to her and brought her up to speed on a couple of projects. I'm quite relieved that we've been given this extra support - perhaps it won't be so crazily busy anymore! Although it's 3 weeks until the office move and 5 weeks until the London Book Fair, so I wouldn't count on it!

Most of the afternoon was spent on the office move. First we had a meeting to find out where everyone had got to with their individual tasks, then I started to sort out some documents, furniture and moving boxes. At 5.30pm the Director jokingly sent me home as I was still ill and lost my voice about 4 times in one day! I was looking forward to the weekend and excited about Monday as my first day as a freelance temp yet also nervous - would my role change? Would expectations be higher?

I've decided not to blog every day now that my internship is over - it simply takes up too much time! I may do the occasional post here and there so please do check back every now and then. I'm glad that I documented most of my day to day work so that I can read over how I've developed and see what I've learnt. I also hope that it's helped to shed some light on such a role for those interested in pursuing a career in publishing. Good luck to you and may your work experience lead to a contract!


No comments:

Post a Comment