Monday 18 February 2013

QuarkXpress cherry popped!



This morning I walked in to find a new face in the office. Today was the first day of a(nother) new Design Intern. Things aren't transparent in the office; we aren't told who's coming or going, who anyone is or how long people are staying for or what their role is! I introduced myself and we asked each other the usual questions.

The Editorial Director came over to my desk and handed me all of the notes from Friday's author meeting. She'd been through them to check they were coherent and up-to-date and she wanted me to type them up into one long document along with the older notes on the other finished chapters. I managed to finish the first chapter before lunch. It wasn't a matter of pure typing though as I had to make some decisions myself on options we'd left open about the text and I redrafted a couple of paragraphs too. The power!!

I'd been asked to buy a replacement cleaning product for the bathroom with money from the kitty - a task I really don't mind doing as it's nice to take a walk outside! I decided to go during my lunchbreak so I wouldn't have to make the trek to the shops twice. I was also happy at being asked because it means that I can slowly convert their supplies into eco-friendly, cruelty-free products, quite stealthily!

After lunch, I finished the notes for the 2nd chapter and was about to start the 3rd when I was told that the new layouts had arrived for the book from the Art Director, so I could make the amendments in QuarkXpress directly. I hadn't used Quark before so she showed me the basic functions. It was pretty exciting to see the text that I'd been working on for the past week to be in book format on the screen, in colour and with pictures! I made some changes but then was asked to help down in the production room for the office move. We had to do an inventory of the display books and put some into storage as the new office is smaller, so I helped out on that. When I returned to my desk, the day was almost over so I drafted an e-mail to a German customer about some outstanding project ideas, then I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment